Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Got Zeitgeist?






I watched a really exciting Gnomon Workshop with Nick Pugh last night about creating a new design language. His process involved doing a loose, fluid series of scribbles during which he tried not to think about specific places, people or things. He would then do a couple more rounds of sketches based off of the previous ones, extrapolating the idea and eventually honing it into a concept. The idea is to let go and be loose in the beginning, allowing your art to channel the zeitgeist, or general feeling of the time. If you're lucky, the hope is that your sketches will embody the next artistic trend. I didn't take the steps too literally, but I've been wanting to break out of my typical style a little and see if I could explore some new shapes and techniques to freshen up my work. The first rounds are really just scribbles, but they started to feel like fashion sketches so I just went with it. I tried to stay true to the feeling of the original scribble and eventually I got the message across. I don't think I've figured out the next big thing as of yet, but this was a great way to loosen up and I'll definitely keep this method in my regular rotation of warm-ups and sketching practice. Try it, it's a lot of fun!

1 comment:

  1. they're super fun! the forth one down is my favorite. here you should toy around with this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surrealist_automatism its sort of the same concept i guess. much less defined! but still fun.

    ReplyDelete